From the frying pan and into the fire

Ok. I’ve been on fire. I have only racked a single eight ball rack in all of November. I’ve won all but one rack. On that rack I scratched on the eight and beat myself. I’m not sure why I’m playing so well but it feels great.

The problem is, that I feel I keep making improvements but it’s hard to tell if I actually am. I always learn a lot more from failure and I haven’t failed a lot lately (knock on wood right? Ha) While it feels good, I know that I’m not facing difficult competition. I need to just get owned once and put in my place.

One weird thing happened though. My last match I was up 3-0 in a race to four and the weirdest thing happened. I barely missed the eight, hanging it in the pocket and my opponent walked up frustrated. He took three practice swings and accidentally tapped the cueball on his last swing. I called foul and he flipped out. He looked at me and said, “Really dude?” And made me feel like crap. I said, “sorry, but it’s a team game and I have a bunch of other people counting on me”, but I was really far ahead and wouldn’t have lost. I took the ball in hand but felt really shitty about it.

Lessons Learned:
1) Failure is temporary, and so I must assume so is success. I seem to learn from my failures and enjoy my success. I need to learn to enjoy my failures more and learn more from my successes.

2) I have to stop trying to play referee or being nice to my opponent. It’s not my fault when they fail. I can only control my own play. My opponent knows the rules, and they know what a foul is. I need to learn that the table is not the place to be nice or mean. It’s simply the field in which we play the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY ONE: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis

DAY THREE: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis

DAY TWO: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis