The line of balls drill has my number

There is a drill that no matter how hard I have tried I just can not complete. This line of balls drill is a drill where you line up the pool balls on the third diamond across the short side of the pool table. Then you use bottom position to stay on the same side of the balls and make them all in. You start behind the headstring on the edge ball. Anytime you touch another ball, end up in a position above the line of balls, or miss... you have to start the drill over. I have yet to complete this drill. Often I'll only get a single ball in. Other times I could be off on position with only one or two balls left. It's frustrating because I do so bad on this drill and I practice it for so long, that I'm certain I'm ingraining misses and bad position into my game. I'm set on a mission to eventually complete this drill.

Today was Sunday. I didn't have custody of my kid, and I got all of my chores done yesterday. Today was going to be the day I beat this damn line of balls. I set aside five hours today to do the line of balls drill. The whole time, I recorded my stroke in the hopes that I could complete it at least one time. After five straight hours of intense and focused practice, I did not complete the drill once. I'm not sure when I'll complete this drill, but one day I will, and I'll immediately scream for joy, and perhaps crack open an "I succeeded" beer. Until then, I'll keep recording and deleting until I get the perfect line of balls drill.

Lessons learned: I know I don't normally use the bottom half of the pool ball, so this drill focuses on the weakest part of my game. I need to focus on the fact that eventually one day I will succeed and not get frustrated. I need to remember that this is a game that I love, and no matter how difficult the challenge, that I will continue to perform until I succeed. It is with integrity and perseverance that I will finally beat this line of balls. It is only a matter of when it will happen. Ugh, it is exhausting though. It's time to watch some football, and to crack open an "I failed" beer.

Comments

  1. This looks like a very interesting drill I'm gonna have to give it a go. I'll give myself 3 to 6 weeks Working on it continuously. I'll let you know how things go

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DAY ONE: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis

DAY THREE: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis

DAY TWO: Three day intensive training with Demetrius Jelatis